What does a scoliosis brace look like? Horton’s visual guide can help explain the differences between each type of scoliosis brace.
A scoliosis brace is not always necessary to correct curving spines, but many orthopedic doctors prescribe them to impede the growth of spinal curves in adolescents. Bracing is usually recommended as a midway point between simple observation and surgical intervention if at least one of the following situations applies:
- The patient is young enough that the curve can be corrected as they grow.
- The curve has grown by more than 5 degreessince a previous measurement.
- The curve is at the 20 to 40 degreemark.
- Wearing the brace gives the patient the best treatment to avoid surgery.
- Additional medical conditions, combined with the scoliosis diagnosis, indicate the need for special protection.
Below are the main types of scoliosis braces typically prescribed by orthopedic doctors in Arkansas, all of which we can custom-fabricate in our orthotics lab.
Leave a Reply