What does a scoliosis brace look like? Horton’s visual guide can help explain the differences between each type of scoliosis brace.
A scoliosis brace is not always necessary to correct curving spines, but many orthopedic doctors prescribe them to impede the growth of spinal curves in adolescents. Bracing is usually recommended as a midway point between simple observation and surgical intervention if at least one of the following situations applies:
- The patient is young enough that the curve can be corrected as they grow.
- The curve has grown by more than 5 degreessince a previous measurement.
- The curve is at the 20 to 40 degreemark.
- Wearing the brace gives the patient the best treatment to avoid surgery.
- Additional medical conditions, combined with the scoliosis diagnosis, indicate the need for special protection.